#67, Butterflies vs. Moths & Bukit Timah Hill

Since this blog has run dry of photographs... I decided to blog again!

Anyway, today I found this moth at the staircase of my block. I thought it was a butterfly initially... but I later realised it wasn't. It didn't have clubbed antennae, and it had a rather hairy body. So it actually is a moth that looked like a butterfly but wasnt, I was tricked because of the fanciful design the moth has...

[Edit] Thanks to Commander, the ID of the moth is now known! Its scientific name is Lyssa zampa.
Apparently, it is pretty common in Singapore (refer to http://habitatnews.nus.edu.sg/index.php?entry=/nature/20050527-lyssa_zampa.txt) and it's supposedly in season now. It's one of the largest moths found in Singapore as well, think that is pretty cool. The one found here is about 7-8 cm long though, possibly not at its maximum yet. If I (might daringly) say, if these moths can be found so commonly in Singapore, they're ain't exactly forest-dwelling! [/Edit]


Anyway, got to go Bukit Timah Hill with my parents today, I decided not to work today, because I worked hard enough on Friday and Saturday and Sunday afternoon, ha ha.

Little Fungus at the entrance of the trail says hello!


Grasshopper silhouette effect that achieved with my point & shoot!


We walked through the Durian Loop and lo and behold, there were many durians there as well, though some seemed to be eaten by humans!


The "big picture" of the forest. Leaf litter, shrubs (if I rmb correctly), canopy, emergents apart from the creepers/lianas/ epiphytes.

Another "big picture". I'm constantly amazed at the scale of nature (: Remember, we rely on nature for survival - oxygen renewal, food, etc; nature never ever needed us.

3 comments:

Commander said...

I see a moth, but where are the butterflies? :D
That poor moth that you found is called Lyssa zampa. Just google for the name and you should see more pictures of it.

Unknown said...

hi commander,

thanks for the ID, really appreciate it! wow it actually seems to be pretty common around this period of the year, according to http://habitatnews.nus.edu.sg/index.php?entry=/nature/20050527-lyssa_zampa.txt.


haha the title's meant to be a debate-going-on-in-my-head kind of thing. :P will post butterfly photographs when i actually have them!

Commander said...

You're most welcome, Eunice! Do post your butterfly shots. If you have any problems with ID, just pop over to ButterflyCircle's blog and refer to the online checklist there. www.butterflycircle.blogspot.com

Nice nature blog you have here... and yes, the Lyssa moth is seasonally common.